Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ye Olde Barbershop...

The Classic American barbershop has been in decline since WW II's introduction of the safety razor and "all that long hair" in the 1970s (so a barber in Seattle told me). Now they are frilly and choking with perfume. Magazine racks of Field & Stream have given way to People and Vogue. A culture is dying....

But at Vasamuseet we've done our best to keep the classic barbershop atmosphere alive.
Last Friday I reported to the carpentry shop (snickeri) where Nicklas was waiting with his trimmer. The mandatory beer in hand, he began and amidst the smell of woodchips, the haze of sawdust, and the sound of the drill press, I got a haircut.


Nicklas giving me the one hair style his trimmer is capable of.
You can bet I have been feeling the winter weather ever since.

P.S. I am proud to add that my notoriously thick hair (something my barbers always complain about) succeeded in killing the trimmer's battery.
It had to be a two-part trimming.